The purpose for CAP Historians is to systematically collect historical data and prepare accurate and useful accounts of the organization, development, administration, operations, and other features of the CAP and its antecedents. The principal objectives are to provide historical data for CAP planning, operational and educational purposes; to preserve and disseminate the history of CAP; and to publish scholarly books and studies.
Functional Address: CAP SER/HO
Welcome To The SER Historian Information Page
The purpose for CAP Historians is for them to systematically collect historical data and prepare accurate and useful accounts of the organization, development, administration, operations, and other features of the Civil Air Patrol and its antecedents. The historians principal objectives are to provide historical data for CAP planning, operational and educational purposes; to preserve and disseminate the history of Civil Air Patrol; and to prepare and publish scholarly books and studies that keep the public informed about Civil Air Patrol and its cadet program, aerospace education, and emergency services missions.
CAP has developed a Historical Program which is designed to:
- Prepare annual national, region, and wing histories and encourage their preparation at the group and squadron level.
- Assemble and maintain copies of CAP historical documentation.
- Prepare historical material for orientation purposes and building esprit de corps.
- Assist and advise military personnel and qualified civili-ans concerning research; preparing lectures, papers, and staff studies; and other activities that require historical knowledge or the use of historical materials.
- Arouse and develop increased interest in and an improved understanding of military history among CAP personnel, historians, and students.
- Develop an Oral History Program as an adjunct to the traditional written one.
Representing the Civil Air Patrol at meetings of historical and other learned societies.
The Historian should be thoroughly familiar with CAPR 210-1 (the Civil Air Patrol Historical Program) and other internal and external publications relating to historical activities.
CAP Regulations And Pamphlets Related To The CAP History Program
- CAPR 210-1 (revised), The Civil Air Patrol Historical Program, 2 Aug 2012.
- CAPR 210-3, Civil Air Patrol Historical Repositories, 22 July 2014.
- CAPP 5, Civil Air Patrol Written History Self-Study Guide, 17 July 2014.
- CAPP 6, Civil Air Patrol Oral History Self-Study Guide, 17 July 2014.
- CAPP 223, Specialty Track Study Guide – Historian, 22 July 2014.
Instructions on how to prepare Historical Monographs and Special Studies can be found in CAPP 5, Chapter 1, paragraphs 1-2 and 1-3, and Atch 17. For further information, please contact the National Monograph Editor, Lt Col James Scott, email@example.com.
CAP History Journal
The CAP History Journal is issued electronically on a quarterly basis. To submit an article, or to be added to the electronic mailing list, please contact the Editor, Capt Kurt Efinger, firstname.lastname@example.org.