CAP has a vital interest in the moral and spiritual welfare of its members. The CAP chaplaincy is an organization of clergy who are appointed and endorsed as CAP chaplains. They represent their various denominations and support the pluralistic ministry of the CAP Chaplain Corps.
Functional Address: CAP SER/HC
Chaplains are ensured the constitutional right to the free exercise of religion for themselves, and those military members, and their families that they serve. The Wing Commanders rely on the chaplain leadership to strengthen the spiritual and emotional integrity of those in their command.
In this light, the Chaplains of SER will orient and direct his/her services to fulfill the responsibilities of the Chaplain Corps to their Wing/Group/Unit and any appropriate areas requested.
The Chaplains of SER will be a representative of the Holy in all the missions in their units and the Civil Air Patrol (CAP). And, if authorized, will do the same for the United States Air Force, National Guard/Reserve Units and civilian entities as part of an assigned CAP mission.
The CDI’s of SER will be proficient in assisting the chaplains in teaching the Character Development Classes and in any emergency services missions in which they are qualified to participate with the chaplains.
Chaplains and CDI’s will be encouraged to pursue all training avenues to achieve and maintain Mission Chaplain and Chaplain Support Specialist ratings in order to extend the provision of chaplain services in emergency situations. The Chaplains and CDI’s of SER will aggressively progress through their Professional Development areas and achieve the Master Level in their Specialty Tracks.
The Chaplains of SER will:
- Provide spiritual and moral counsel to the commander, senior members and cadets
- Provide moral guidance through the Character Development program and as personally requested by any members
- Provide/coordinate opportunities for unit members for the worship services of their preference when on actual ES missions or field training activities
- Provide support for members and victims during emergency service missions
- Provide chaplain support, if authorized, to the United States Air Force, Florida National Guard/Reserve Units and civilian entities when requested
The Character Development Instructors of SER will:
- Assist the Chaplains in providing the CD classes in the units
- If they are participating in emergency services missions with the chaplains, assist the Chaplains with coordinating all administrative, supply, communication, transportation, lodging and worship service needs
Guiding Standards For SER Chaplains/CDI's
- They will be committed to maintaining impeccable personal moral standards to mentor excellence in moral leadership
- They will be professional and approachable in their duty performance
- Chaplains will be faithful to their individual religious traditions and practices
- They will be respectful of others who hold spiritual beliefs and religious practices different from themselves
- They will work together in ministering to others